CORNERSTONE WESLEYAN CHURCH
In 1949 Rev. Everett Shelhammer came to the Green Township Community of Noble County with a vision to establish a holiness church. At first, meetings were held in homes until land was purchased at the corner of County Roads 200 E. and 400 S. A basement was dug by mule and shovel and the church met in the basement for the first couple of years.
In 1951, the main part of the church was completed. The new sanctuary was dedicated in 1952. A farm house was purchased from Marion & Lauris Clouse which served as the parsonage until 1978.
In 1968 the Pilgrim Holiness church merged with the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The new name for this local church was the Green Township Wesleyan Church.
During the 1970’s the church was remodeled, a bus ministry was started and a new solar heated parsonage was completed just behind where the old one had stood.
The congregation was outgrowing the church building. A decision was made to relocate both church and parsonage onto a 5.8 acre property on U.S. 33 in Merriam.Cornerstone Wesleyan Church
was selected to be the new name and the dedication service was held on November 10, 1985.
In 1998 a 7,200 square foot additon was added which included a fellowship hall/gym, kitchen and three classrooms.
In 2005 a 1,600 square foot addition was added to the north side of the gym to provide additional classroom space.
Pastors that have served this congregation include:
Everett Shelhammer, Elton Call, Bill Smith, David Smith, Donald McDowell, Wesley Croker ’71-‘72, Harold Polk ’72-‘74, Ron Clark ’74-‘75, Barry Faucett ’75-‘81, Daniel Wilson ’81-‘90, Bern Lytle ’90-‘93 & George Cecil ’93-present
ORIGINAL SANCTUARY c. 1952
VIEW FROM THE ROAD c. 1952
1985 Church relocated in Merriam
Current Building after 2 additions